Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cold on Brugg Bridge

Hi All. Sorry it takes me so long to add new entries, but here's a quick one. We went to neighboring Brugg this weekend. It's also an historic little Swiss town, also on the Limmat River, and apparently is a river/rail/motorway crossroads town. We went on Sunday, so of course nearly everything was closed, but we did find one cozy little coffeeshop where we had zwei Cappucino.

Now up until this day, I had been doing really well with the cold. Rand had a day in Zurich when he about died -- didn't wear proper warm pants, and this was my day to freeze clear to my eyeballs, also because I didn't wear warm 'nough pants (because as you can see, I have the heavy fur, heavy gloves, and wrapped scarf). You can't get away with anything here when you go outside. Plus of course we depend on public transportation, which I love(!), but it means you have to be prepared to be out in the elements. No car awaits you.

Anyway, I wanted to show you this picture of an old stone wall on one side of the bridge -- the Black Tower, constructed at the end of the 12th Century. 'Tis the oldest standing structure remaining in Brugg’s old town today, according to my sources. If you click on the picture, you can see the carved face and barred windows. Pre-Gothic. There's a picture of the actual tower showing where we were on the bridge at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugg.

No comments: